Summit Notes, Case Studies, and Archives
The Greater Boston Veterans Collaborative hosts community summits every other month in the Boston area. As part of our mission to increase understanding of the issues facing our community, we're publishing notes, slides, documents, case studies, and learnings from our past summits here.
- September 20, 2017 – Education Summit & Networking @ William James College
- July 20, 2017 – Community Summit & VetTogether @ Community Rowing Inc. (Agenda)
- May 11, 2017 – Summit & Networking @ Brighton Marine Health Center
- March 1, 2017 – Summit @ Boston VAMC; Networking @ Canary Square
- November 30, 2016 – Summit @ District Hall; Networking @ Gather
- September 29, 2016 – Summit @ UMass Boston; VetTogether @ Freeport Tavern
- August 3, 2016 – Summit @ Klarman Foundation; Networking @ Charlesmark Lounge
- June 1, 2016 – Summit & VetTogether @ VFW Boston Police Post 1018
- March 30, 2016 – Summit @ Bay State College; Networking @ MJ O'Connors
- January 27, 2016 – Summit @ Harvard Kennedy School; VetTogether @ John Harvard's
- November 18, 2015 – Summit @ District Hall; Networking @ Gather
- September 23, 2015 – Summit & VetTogether @ Northeastern University
- July 15, 2015 – Summit @ Veterans Legal Services; VetTogether @ Anthem Kitchen
- May 7, 2015 – Summit @ North Bennett Street School; VetTogether @ Anthem Kitchen
- March 5, 2015 – Welcome Home Breakfast & Summit @ Suffolk University
- January 15, 2015 – Summit @ Boston Veterans Services Office; VetTogether @ Kinsale
- July 24, 2014 – "Opportunity from Crisis" Press Conference & Cambridge Conversation
back to school: veterans in higher ed
We met at the UMass Boston campus on September 29, 2016 to discuss opportunities and issues impacting student veterans and the organizations, communities, families, and programs supporting them. We heard from veterans and representatives of dynamic programs and schools supporting student veterans as they transition, build their skills, and prepare to graduate:
- David Merson, Director of UMass Boston's Veterans Upward Bound Program,
- Jose Ramirez, Public Health Nurse / Infection Controls at UMass Boston's Student Health Services
- Garrett Dubois, Veteran, UMass Boston’s Student Veterans Organization,
- Alisa Bennett, Program Manager, Bedford VA Veterans Integration To Academic Leadership (VITAL)
- Rob O’Dwyer, Director of Admissions / Student Success, North Bennet Street School,
- Andy McCarty, Director of Northeastern University's Center for the Advancement of Veterans and Service Members (CAVS).
Legal Issues: Bad paper Discharges & Justice-Involved Veterans
During our legal summit, hosted by the Klarman Family Foundation on August 3, 2016, we discussed issues related to bad conduct discharges, as well as gaps in services for justice-involved veterans. We reflected on our organizational policies and challenges as well as solutions and best practices in breakout groups. Most organizations serve veterans regardless of their discharge status.
advocacy & community engagement
During this summit at VFW Boston Police Post 1018, we focused on challenges commonly experienced across organizations. Participants selected their affinity group based on their main focus area, including community, advocacy, health and wellness, employment, and education. We encouraged participants at each table to pick one challenge as a case study, then brainstorm possible solutions to share.